(Take note - These are Island Portions, you can use half the recipe for a smaller batch)
- 10 Cups of Flour
- 2 Cup of Sugar (Mix these two separately in a bowl, with your hands don't over mix but mix thoroughly)
- 5 Cups of Water
- 5 Tablespoons of "Active Dry Yeast"
- 38g Unsalted Butter (Mix these ingredients thoroughly in a separate bowl)
Ingredients for Coconut Caramel Filling:
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 1 can (14 oz/400 ml) coconut milk
- 4 Tablespoons (30 g) flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup (70 g) grated coconut
- After mixing the ingredients separately , combine the ingredients, and mix with hands, til it forms one big dough, and must all stick together as you mix,
- it should gather naturally as you mix and form the dough. After that, place into a big pan, Pour in good amount of oil, so it doesn't stick, and cover with saran wrap, tightly and seal it good.
- The dough should sit, untouched for about an hour, until it rises and doubles it's size.
- While waiting for the dough. Heat the oil in another pan at low heat, add in sugar, flour then add the coconut milk, water to prevent sticking. Cook until everything has melted then add shredded coconut. Keep stirring to prevent it burn. Let it cool down before use.
- Now divide the dough into roughly 12 portions and pad it down like a mini flat pancake, about half of inch thick, scoop a tablespoon of Coconut Caramel filling in the middle, and gather, to make a ball, like a Pagi keke. Seal it good, so it doesn't pa(burst), in the oil when you fry until golden brown, make sure to test the inside too.. OR
- Brush some milk on each bun and Bake approximately 18 minutes at 180'C preheated oven until nice and light golden brown.