In celebration of Tongan Language week we have for you a Lū Kapa Pulu recipe! Corned beef with taro leaves - a Tongan favourite!
Lū Pulu Masima. (You can swap the corned beef for any meat of your choice)
- 1 onion, peeled and
- 1 can (12 oz.) corned beef mashed with a fork
- 2 cans of coconut cream
- 2 (20 inch) sheets of aluminum foil
- 3 bunches of Taro leaves, washed, stemmed and drained
1) Preheat the oven to 350º. Place foil on top of one another to form a "T".
2) Place Taro leaves on top, next layer the top of the Taro with corned beef, half a handful of onion and dashes of salt.
3) Top off the layers with 5 Tablespoons of coconut cream (or however much you want hehe)
4) Wrap the first layer of foil carefully, then wrap the next layer on top. Bake on a baking sheet in a 350º oven for 1 hour (or till taro leaves are soft and cooked)
5) Remove and allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes.
Best served with taro, 'ufi, manioke, kumala or green bananas! Ifo atu. Enjoy!